[gdal-dev] dimap pleiades issues

Dennis Gocke dengo at gmx.net
Tue Jun 23 06:43:35 PDT 2015

Hi guys,

following the discussion
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.gdal.devel/40628 I did some tests
with a pleiades dataset.

First of all, Astrium’s very own tool (which now vanished from their page)
to convert the pleiades RPC*.XML to _RPC.TXT did not change SAMP_OFF and
LINE_OFF according to the 1,1 pixel center convention, so using this
_RPC.TXT would probably cause issues in most software.

So I wanted to see how the GDAL pleiades mdreader works and stumbled across
some issues:

- the pleiades mdreader is not triggered when opening the dimap file.

- when the image is tiled, the dimap reader only opens the first file but
has raster dimensions of all tiles, so trying to read pixels, where the
other tiles should be used, crashes.

- neither a geotransform nor GCPs are provided when opening the dimap file
(unrelated issue).

- when opening the individual tile tifs the pleiades mdreader is triggered
and reads the RPC. But it provides the same RPCs for all tiles, which means
for every tile apart from the upper left tile the RPCs are not correct.

I’ve uploaded a Pleiades sample with tiles (blackened pixels) here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_pKTK9WcAW4UnA2LWJpbFE1ZTQ/view?usp=sharing

I think it would be great if GDAL could load all tiles as mosaic from the
dimap (similar to the DG TIL driver) and would provide the RPCs from the
pleiades mdreader for this mosaic raster. This would avoid using various
workarounds.

Best Regards,

Dennis