[gdal-dev] ​Re: Raster origin coodinates in file header

Piero Campalani piero.campa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 23:41:17 PDT 2015

Adrien,

OGC in its GML standard document -- of course in line with ISO --
recommends that:

* "When a grid point is used to represent a sample space (e.g. image
pixel), the grid point represents the center of the sample space (see ISO
19123:2005, 8.2.2)"*. ​

​GML encodes the locations of a raster/gridded-coverage by means of a grid
of ​0D points.

​You can always put your raster origin wherever you want, i.e. in whatever
corner you prefer.
Alas, there's no way -- that I am aware of -- to specify what is the shape
of a measurement footprint/sample-space, nor to say if the footprint
surrounds the point-geometry equally (point is pixel-centre) or some other
way (point is pixel-upper-left-corner?).

Hence raster creators should probably stick to this recommended encoding
until standards do not offer more freedom on this :)

​@seeAlso
​http://rasdaman.org/wiki/PetascopeSubsets
http://rasdaman.org/ticket/680​

-