[gdal-dev] External files for RPC in GeoTIFF

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Mar 17 02:32:59 PDT 2015

On 16.03.2015 18:54, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd be interested in people's feedback about which "sidecar"/external
> files for
> GeoTIFF to store RPC (Rational Polynomial Coefficients) are the most
> popular
> those days and how well they are supported by the various remote
> sensing
> software
> packages. Besides reading/writing the TIFF RPC tag
> (http://geotiff.maptools.org/rpc_prop.html), GDAL can read/write the
> .RPB format
> as found in Digital Globe products, as well as read the _RPC.TXT
> format a found
> in GeoEye products. This support dates back to some time ago, so I'm
> wondering
> if there have been change in that area.

Not that I have much to offer in terms of support.  Some sort of a
feedback though:  I have used, last year, many and different very high
resolution products (QB2, IKONOS, WV2).  For all of them, GDAL worked
nice in using the existing RPC metadata (packed inside a NITF  or
stored inside RPB files) to warp images.

Nikos