[gdal-dev] [GSOC] Support for m coordinates in OGRGeometries

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Mar 17 20:20:09 PDT 2015

Selon Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com>:

> FWIW I think support for M would be a very welcome addition. An
> immediate use I'd see for it would be support for time on GPS tracks in
> GPX files.
>
> Note that if supporting the M dimension doesn't seem enough for a SoC
> project, making sure that all formats that support M (or as many as
> possible) are upgraded to properly implement it may very well fill the
> rest of the summer.

Good point. At least the following ones for sure support M: Shapefile, ESRI
Personal Geodatabase, FileGDB / OpenFileGDB, PostGIS (and PGDump and CartoDB),
Spatialite, GeoPackage
Likely (but not verified): GML, Oracle
Maybe: MSSQL, MySQL
And as pointed by Daniel, the GPX and KML / LIBKML drivers could also use the M
dimension for storing track times. Probably the GPSTrackMaker one also, but not
verified.
So indeed quite a few drivers to get familiar with!