[gdal-dev] RFC 44: Add Parseable Output Formats for ogrinfo and gdalinfo

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Sun Mar 29 15:58:51 PDT 2015

Hi,

Good work, thanks for taking this on!

1: Is there any particular reason to implement XML? Every language has a
good JSON parser these days, as you note in the RFC XML is more complex to
implement, and it's not like strict schemas or streaming (usual reasons for
XML) are going to be in place.

2: In terms of the proposed gdalinfo JSON...

a) bands[0].band == 1 -- any reason to favour this over the implicit index
in the bands[] array?

b) personally I'd prefer to be slightly more verbose in attribute naming.
eg. block -> blockSize, colorInterp -> colorInterpolation, proj -> proj4

c) There's support for multiple RATs in a single dataset, but the JSON
format only allows one. Maybe rats: {"name": {... attributes...}}?

d) HDF-derived formats (and probably some others) have support for multiple
datasets/component images. Is that something we could incorporate (maybe
with a top-level object surrounding each dataset description)?

There may be a few other elements where there's support (either now or in
the forseeable future) for multiple items. @Even, any thoughts?

3: Keen to see the ogrinfo equivalent!

Rob :)