[gdal-dev] How connect to a remote oracle with spatial

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Oct 14 00:56:54 PDT 2015

Andrea Peri <aperi2007 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to test using gdal the access to an oracle dbms.
>
> To do this I use the ogrinfo and try this sintax but without success.
>
> ogrinfo OCI:username:password <at> "(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS
> = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <IP server dbms>)(PORT = <listener
>
> The server return
>
> ERROR 1: ORA-01005: null password given; logon denied
>  in <unnamed>

Don'n you have a record for your connection in the tnsnames.ora
http://orafaq.com/wiki/Tnsnames.ora? If you have, use @SERVICE_NAME with ogrinfo

Read also carefully the manual page http://www.gdal.org/drv_oci.html
You wrote OCI:username:password  but it should be
OCI:username/password at database_instance:table,table

As documented "ogrinfo OCI:username/password at database_instance" is enough
but at least in our environment it can take several minutes to read the
metadata from Oracle if table list is not given for limiting the search.

-Jukka Rahkonen-