[gdal-dev] Reading JPEG2000 file related to drivers

Yves Jacolin yjacolin at free.fr
Wed Oct 14 08:08:34 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 18:00:16 Even Rouault wrote:

> > Last question for today: do you know any limitation with this lib (any
> >
> > release) and image size:
> >

> > ERROR 1: Cannot handle box sizes higher than 2^32
>
> This error message comes from openjpeg itself. Is it really a huge JPEG2000
> files, ie more than 4 GB ? Not sure if I tried files that big with
> OpenJPEG.
> >

> > OPENJPEG: info: Start to read j2k main header (349).
> > ERROR 1: Prevent buffer overflow (x1: 200000, y1: 225000)
>
> This error messages comes from OpenJPEG 2.1 lib. Hum it would seem that the
> lib cannot handle images bigger than 4 billion pixels...

Yes it is a huge file (25 Go), I find the error message in the code of OpenJpeg:
https://github.com/uclouvain/openjpeg/blob/f8c822266043a689055b44274c0bf4dc34d4c8ba/src/lib/openjp2/jp2.c#L509

I find a ticket also: https://github.com/uclouvain/openjpeg/issues/92

FYI, gdalinfo on the same jp2 with openjpeg and ECW SDK shows better
performance with openjpeg driver.

Reading the same file with QGIS with both drivers shows a huge difference (read
really better performance) for ECW SDK.

I need to do some test with MapServer but currently I can't be sure that GDAL
use the correct driver.

Y.