[gdal-dev] ISO Metadata

Damian Dixon damian.dixon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 02:42:09 PDT 2015

Hi,

When ever anyone mentions ISO metadata I think of:

ISO 19103
ISO 19115

Are we talking about these?

If we are then I would just like to mention that both of these standards
lose information and context when you attempt to populate the fields from
actual data products.

There is also the issue of interpretation as to what data fields to copy to
which metadata fields.

Because of this I would suggest that each data format should store it's
metadata in a lossless form.

An xlst should be provided to convert each data-format metadata to the
appropriate ISO metadata format.

Regards
Damian

PS. Metadata for data does not excite me, but it is a necessary evil that
is becoming very important.