[gdal-dev] Follow on to the "ISO Metadata" post

Damian Dixon damian.dixon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 05:36:29 PDT 2015

Hi Tim,

Personally I would not use ISO 19115-1 as an internal format.

There are not a huge number of data formats/products that store metadata as
XML out of the box. When they do store metadata it is usually specific to
the data and data product (regardless of how the metadata is stored).

There have been attempts at adding metadata alongside data products such as
UK MOD profile of IS0 19115 (MOD profile has problems). The French
equivalent of the MOD have for a number of years mandated a metadata format
alongside all data products used by them (wish I could find the actual
standard for the metadata).

The biggest problem is actually mapping from data/'data product' metadata
to the target metadata specification.

Just to highlight how much a problem the mapping of fields from one
metadata format to another is; we have been arguing off and on for more
than a year internally about the meaning of dates and which date should be
in which field. Two of our big customers do not agree on the meaning of
some of the source data date fields and the mappings we have done.

I believe ESRI have their own internal metadata format that they provide a
tool to translate to other XML metadata specifications.

Where I work I have been pushing a per data/'data product' format that is
XML based that uses tag value pairs. The tags would basically be a dump of
all available information and specific to each data/'data product'. A set
of XSLT scripts would then translate the information to what ever metadata
standard you wanted to use and if you needed to modify the mapping you
could change the XSLT script for that data/'data product'.

We have found that hard-coding the mapping is too costly to maintain and
very difficult to get right.

Probably not the answer you are looking for.

Regards
Damian