[gdal-dev] using gdal on ironpython 2.7

Djordje Spasic issworld2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 27 08:19:30 PDT 2015

Hello to GDAL community,

Lately I have been trying to use the SRTM 3 arc second elevation data in a form of ASCII grid (.asc file) downloaded freely from opentopography.org.

The problem is that, decimal degrees for .asc files downloaded from opentopography.org are unprojected.
I have been told that with GDAL python module it is very easy to project the decimal degrees to Mercator:

gdalwarp -s_srs EPSG:4326 -t_srs EPSG:32631 -r cubic Barcelona_original.asc Barcelona_projected_to_Mercator.tif

Then we just need to convert the .tif file to .asc:
gdal_translate -of AAIGrid Barcelona_projected_to_Mercator.tif Barcelona_projected_to_Mercator.asc​

Maybe there is a way of doing this in just one line instead of two, I do no not know.

There is a problem: I am using a Rhino 5 application, which is shipped with IronPython 2.7, not cPython. I did not succeed in installing the GDAL python module into my IronPython.

Is there a way to install GDAL into the IronPython?I googled and found this topic, where it says I need to use C# bindings to import GDAL into IronPython. Can anyone show an example of this?

If not, can in some way the upper two "gdalwarp" and "gdal_translate" methods be replicated in IronPython?
​Thank you.

​Kind regards,
Djordje Spasic