[gdal-dev] HDF5: best practice

Jose Gomez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 01:58:53 PDT 2015

Hello,

We're using the Python GDAL bindings to ingest many different datasets into
our processing system, which currently outputs data as GeoTIFF files.
However, in order to optimise processing, parts of the code use HDF5. As
such, we would like to drop the GeoTIFF output and use the HDF5 format
directly. However, I can find relatively little information on having HDF5
datasets fully characterised by a particular geographic
projection/georregistration. I understand that adding a couple of metadata
tags, GDAL is able to understand projections and geolocation, but is there
anything more general?

Many thanks
Jose