[gdal-dev] How to add GDAL as a dependency to a Python package?

Luí­s de Sousa luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch
Tue Apr 12 06:13:31 PDT 2016

Dear all,

I am trying to package a Python script that uses GDAL for PyPI. I started by including a direct reference in my setup.py:

install_requires=['GDAL==1.11.2'],

This way the package failed to install in my test virtual environment:

extensions/gdal_wrap.cpp:2855:22: fatal error: cpl_port.h: No such file or directory #include "cpl_port.h" ^ compilation terminated. error: Setup script exited with error: command 'x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit status 1

I then tried it with a reference to pygdal, since it is marked as a virtualenv friendly version:

install_requires=['pygdal'],

This way the installation finishes without errors (but with the usual load of compilation warnings). However, when then I invoke the script I get this error back:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/desouslu/.virtualenvs/test_p3/bin/hasc2gml", line 5, in <module> from pkg_resources import load_entry_point File "/home/desouslu/.virtualenvs/test_p3/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2716, in <module> working_set.require(__requires__) File "/home/desouslu/.virtualenvs/test_p3/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 685, in require needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements)) File "/home/desouslu/.virtualenvs/test_p3/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 588, in resolve raise DistributionNotFound(req) pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: pygdal

What is the correct way of setting GDAL as a dependency?

Thank you,

Luís

Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.ch), encrypted email based in Switzerland.