[gdal-dev] 4th band as ALPHA on warp

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Aug 8 02:26:52 PDT 2016

Le lundi 08 août 2016 09:30:53, Daniele Romagnoli a écrit :
> Hi Even,
> my usual question would be: any plan to backport it? :-)

Not really. I guess this is a new feature.

As currently, our policy is to be rather conservative for what goes in stable
branches, so people can upgrade from one micro version to another one
blindlessly.
Regarding that particular feature, it could potentially be backported, but
then where to draw the limit ? At some point, one such backport will undoubtly
cause a regression elsewhere, or will have bugs, causing more stabilization
work in stable branches.

Potential solutions:
- More frequent major.minor.0 releases that our ~ 1 year schedule
- Less conservative policy backport policy in regular stable branches that
would allow some new features to be added, but within the current limits of no
ABI change, no backward incompatibilities.
- An extra -backport branch that would have a less conservative policy. To be
defined what would be the limits: ABI changes allowed or not ?, backward
incompatibilities ? Would potentially only of interest for people who can
build from source as it would be unlikely to be widely packaged.

All would need extra staffing / funding.

Another option that already exists: live on the bleeding edge and build from
trunk ;-)

Even