[gdal-dev] How does GDAL OSM driver deal with closed ways?

Djordje Spasic issworld2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 05:00:50 PST 2016

Thank you Jukka!

I wasn't precise enough: particular closed way is not sent to both multipolygons.shp and lines.shp. It is sent to the lines.shp, and I am wondering why hasn't it been sent to the multipolygons.shp.

But your detailed explanation helped me realize that this building footprint does not have the "building" key, only "building:levels". And as "building:levels" is not included in osmconf.ini file's line:
closed_ways_are_polygons=

it seems that this is why OSM driver sent it to the lines.shp.

I will definitively read through the links you gave me Jukka. Thank you.

Until then, do you mind if I ask just for a tiny clarification?

> The default rendering style file has such a list
https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/blob/master/default.style

Is this the part of that file that I need to take a look at:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/blob/master/default.style#L83-L152

> and you can find it also from the osmconf.ini file

But osmconf.ini file only defines the polygons keys, not linear ones?
This is the line in osmconf.ini which defines polygon keys:

closed_ways_are_polygons=
?