[gdal-dev] GDAL doesn't read GeoTiff .msk mask file

Nikolai Bezdna mofoyoda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 17:34:55 PST 2016

Even, thanks a lot for replying.

No, the strange thing is neither gdalinfo, nor gdal_translate work on my .msk file.
Gdalinfo returns "not recognized as a supported file format”. Though this .msk works ok in ArcGIS.
I can even export raster from ArcGIS with baked-in mask (like setting output to 16-bit and nodata value to 256 (anything bigger than 255)).
But then I don’t know how to get gdal translate it back to 8 bit with adding a mask band from pixels with value of 256. Is that possible?

Cheers,
Nick