[gdal-dev] convert shapefile from California State Plane to EPSG:4326

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Tue Feb 9 00:17:08 PST 2016

Am 09.02.2016 um 03:35 schrieb maning sambale:
> Thanks Daniel and Even,
>
> Using following Even's advice, I get better results:
> https://gist.github.com/maning/093a866fd465ea880032#better-conversion
>
>> Wondering if it might be appropriate to change proj.4 defaults to the above ?
>
> +1

The datum shift between WGS84 and NAD83 is related to the tectonic plate
shift, which varies across North America, and over the time.

So it makes not much sense to change the proj.4 values, unless it is
checked for accuracy at several places across the continent, and bound
to a certain time.

Locally, you get good fitting vectors and images if you use the same
shift as was used for georeferencing the orthoimages.

Greetings,
André Joost