[gdal-dev] Verbose mode in GDAL

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Wed Feb 17 05:51:35 PST 2016

Hi List,
I'm running the following four queries against the same data (a packbits compressed geotiff):

    gdaladdo -r average --config COMPRESS_OVERVIEW JPEG --config PHOTOMETRIC_OVERVIEW YCBCR i1.tif 2 4 8 16

    gdaladdo -r average --config PHOTOMETRIC_OVERVIEW YCBCR i2.tif 2 4 8 16

    gdaladdo -r average i3.tif 2 4 8 16

    gdaladdo -r average --config COMPRESS_OVERVIEW PACKBITS i4.tif 2 4 8 16

All four outputs are binary identical and contain the requested internal overviews.

I can think of several possible reasons for this outcome (different compression type seems most probable), but invisibly failing to action semantically valid flags isn't good for raising or debugging errors. Does GDAL have a "verbose" mode? I can't seem to find one.

Cheers,
Jonathan