[gdal-dev] GDAL packaging in OSGeo4W

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Feb 22 05:38:06 PST 2016

Hi Even,

On Mon, 22. Feb 2016 at 12:15:31 +0100, Even Rouault wrote:
> Following recent exchanges on the discuss mailing list, it appears that the
> whole set of packages in OSGeo4W relies on very few shoulders. I was
> wondering if someone would be willing to take the stick for GDAL.

> Could be cool to have -dev versions packaged from time to time (or
> potentially nightly builds), as well as a few drivers available as plugins
> (PDF driver, MongoDB one)

PDF is included (but not as plugin).  mongo db however is missing, yes.

Well, and the discussion might be a bit misled.  My point was that OSGeo4W is
not stalled - eventhough I'm not keen on building all the stuff with an (even
bigger) zoo of compilers.  Because I don't really see a point in that - for me
OSGeo4W is about shipping applications and not development libraries.

Doing a build once in a while (and maybe even adding a nightly - I run the qgis
nightlies anyway) shouldn't be a big problem.   But this came only up once in a
while - IIRC more like a nice idea, but not like real request.  Maybe also
because it would be of limited use, if "upper level" package like QGIS would
not use the gdal nightly.

But would probably not be what you intended ;)

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode