[gdal-dev] GDAL packaging in OSGeo4W

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Feb 22 06:29:05 PST 2016

Hi Even,

On Mon, 22. Feb 2016 at 15:04:14 +0100, Even Rouault wrote:
> Ah honestly I didn't try recently. Just looked at
> http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/x86_64/release/gdal/setup.hint.

> If the build dependencies are just those ones, then it must be only the write support
> of the PDF driver which requires no dependency. For read-support, you need
> poppler for raster&vector read support, or podofo for vector read support only
> (or pdfium - new to trunk - for raster&vector read support, PDFium being
> licensed under non-copyleft terms).

Yes.  Not all build dependencies are there (partly because of licensing; ECW,
MrSID, FileGDB...) and as poppler is only used by GDAL, I didn't package it.
It's just linked into GDAL.

> > mongo db however is missing, yes.

> Yes, trunk only anyway

Ah, ok.  I didn't check.

> > Well, and the discussion might be a bit misled.  My point was that OSGeo4W
> > is not stalled - eventhough I'm not keen on building all the stuff with an
> > (even bigger) zoo of compilers.

> Sure, building the whole stack with different compilers would require an
> automated process, and as automation doesn't work alone, people behind it.

That, and it also doesn't make a lot of send to me - unless the aim is to
provide libraries to third parties.

> > Because I don't really see a point in that - for me OSGeo4W is about
> > shipping applications and not development libraries.

> Perhaps you meant "shipping development libraries.... for a number of
> compiler version, with/without debug symbol, etc..." ? Because at least the
> .h and .lib corresponding to the used compiler must be provided, so as to be
> able to build upper level packages.

Sure.  We also ship the libraries needed to build packages for OSGeo4W on top
of dependencies in OSGeo4W.  Just not libraries, that aren't used in OSGeo4W
otherwise.  But that's no strict rule either.  E.g. we also ship QGIS libraries
and headers - although we currently don't have any packaged C++ plugins for
QGIS in OSGeo4W.

> > Doing a build once in a while (and maybe even adding a nightly - I run the
> > qgis nightlies anyway) shouldn't be a big problem.   But this came only up
> > once in a while - IIRC more like a nice idea, but not like real request.

> My email was more about to try to find if the load can be shared. It
> shouldn't fall on QGIS to build the whole stack since most packages have
> their usefulness individually.

Yes, of course.  That's how I understood it.

> > But would probably not be what you intended ;)

That was more about me volunteering. ;)

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode