[gdal-dev] Standard GDAL format for HDF5?

jramm jamessramm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 03:19:35 PST 2016

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a standard GDAL format for
HDF5 files?

The major problem I have with current formats supported by the HDF5 driver
is that they are very application-specific, with requirements on the
structure of groups and group names.

What I propose would make no assumptions about the file grouping structure,
but require that some attributes are set on the dataset itself:

- Geotransform
- Projection
- NoDataValue

To read a certain dataset, you would pass the driver the 'posix style' path
to the dataset (as per HDF5 docs). I'm not sure how this would fit with the
driver, but perhaps something similar that is done for postgres  (i.e. all
in one string then the elements parsed out):

"/My/Path/To/file.hdf5/path/to/dataset"

This would allow any file structure and for multiple datasets within a file
to support different projections, geotransforms etc etc

Any thoughts?