[gdal-dev] OpenJPEG Testers Needed

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 09:10:52 PST 2016

Dear GDAL users,

As I've mentioned previously, there are big changes coming to the OpenJPEG
library. Performance is going up and memory usage is going down, by
significant amounts.

To do all of this, we have had to make significant changes to the core of
the library. So, even though all of our unit tests are passing, we would
still like to know more about how the new code works in a geospatial work
flow: is it stable, how much faster is it, how has memory usage changes?

If anyone has a few spare cycles for testing this out, it would be very
much appreciated!

I am maintaining the new branch on my github repo, so you can go here
for the latest code if you are interested:

https://github.com/CodecCentral/openjpeg/tree/decode_region

By the way, this branch also includes another new feature: fast decode of
sub-window inside of a tile.  This is done using the existing openjpeg -d
command line flag. For large single tile images, this allows users to
quickly view a sub region of the image.

Cheers,
Aaron