[gdal-dev] RPC

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jan 18 01:25:17 PST 2016

Le lundi 18 janvier 2016 08:39:06, Surya Prakash a écrit :
> Hi ALL,
> I have some imagery associated with RPC files. The locational accuracy of
> the images defined by the RPCs is quite poor and I would like to update
> the RPCs by using some additional GCPs. How to do this, Please guide me.

You might find this interesting :
http://fwarmerdam.blogspot.fr/2013_09_01_archive.html

Are you sure the RPC you got is poor ? Several points need to be taken into
account to get precise wrapping when using RPCs: if the angle of the image is
far from nadir, you will need to use a DEM. And one point to take into account
when doing so is that the elevations of the DEM must be relative to the WGS84
ellipsoid. For that either you need to correct the DEM before using GDAL, or
you must use GDAL trunk and have the DEM SRS be a COMPD_CS with a vertical
datum grid shift. There also were issues with half-pixel shift in RPC
application that have been fixed very recently in GDAL.