[gdal-dev] Question about DWG driver integration into GDAL

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jan 27 06:22:24 PST 2016

Bonjour Jérome,

> 1)      I tried "# DWG support using the Open Design Alliance Teigha
> Libraries" :
>
> -          I found binaries on https://www.opendesign.com/download/
>
> -          I compile successfully, but the driver isn't printed In OGR
> driver list when in run my sample application

If you didn't remove the comments in the nmake.opt and change the variables to
point to the appropriate path as it seems you did not, then the driver isn't
compiled at all.

Anyway, there was a discussion a few months ago, and the likely conclusion was
that it isn't possible to build the driver with the "free" DLLs you can
download, but you have to be a member  of the O.D.A. alliance to get the
required DLLs

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2015-September/042632.html
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2015-September/042651.html

> 2)      For the 2nd way, "# DWG/DXF support via DWGdirect from Open Design
> Alliance", I didn't find netheir binaries  nor sources of DWGDirect
>
> 3)      I saw on the web a third possibility, which is "DXFDWG", given by
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DxfDwg, which I don't know how to use.

2) and 3) are the same option. You also likely need to contact ODA to get
DWGdirect, if that still exists. And as written in the wiki, this driver is
write-only.

> What solution must be used for win32 compilation ?
> Is it possible to compile DWG driver within gdal 2.0.1 ?

Not easily it seems. The drivers may potentially also require code updates to
build against current versions of the SDK if there are breaking changes since
the time the driver was written. Their current state is unknown from the GDAL
team (unless someone has updates)

Best regards,

Even