[gdal-dev] R: Problem using ogrlineref

Dmitry Baryshnikov bishop.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 00:26:24 PDT 2016

Hi Dan,

I see your tickets on debian bug tracker.
1. ogrlineref support all GDAL vector drivers with write capability
2. You didn't set -f (format) option, so default driver was set - ESRI
shape file
3. I reproduce segmentation fault (will be fixed soon)
4. Current implementation have the only option to return distance along
line for some geographic coordinates and coordinates for distance. So
you need to loop every 500 meters to get what you want.
5. We tested using ogrlineref without any repers (reference point,
milestones) and it works. You only need to add to OGRLayer three fields
(beg type of REAL, end type of REAL and scale type of REAL).
6. KML is not good format as ogrlineref expect some attributes filled,
but KML usually has the few attributes (NAME and Description). In that
case ogrlineref cannot get some sensitive data from attributes.

Best regards,
     Dmitry