[gdal-dev] make install fails

Kai Muehlbauer kai.muehlbauer at uni-bonn.de
Fri Jul 1 04:55:07 PDT 2016

Hi Marco,

thanks for the reply.

Although I tried to dig up every related issue, I didn't find.

Am 01.07.2016 um 13:35 schrieb Marco Atzeri:
> On 01/07/2016 13:20, Kai Muehlbauer wrote:
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> I did experience the same issue. See
>>
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2016-July/044678.html
>>
>> Although I did not find the root cause of this, I found that in my use
>> case, copying and unsetting CC and CXX environment variables did the
>> trick.
>>
>> So what I did is:
>>
>> export CF_CC=$CC
>> export CF_CXX=$CXX
>> unset CC CXX
>> ./configure CC=$CF_CC \
>>             CXX=$CF_CXX \
>>             --prefix=$PREFIX
>> make
>>
>> Hoping for more insight by gdal-devs.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kai
>>

> same workaround "unset CC CXX"
> is implemented for cygwin package build.
>
>    https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2016-April/044171.html
>
> and it looks this bug is present by long long time
>
>    http://www.michael-joost.de/gdal_install.html

This is a annoying problem for quite some gdal users. With the four of
us, who reported this problem here on the list, there is these on github:

https://github.com/LLNL/spack/issues/679
https://github.com/Homebrew/legacy-homebrew/issues/19845
https://github.com/lunar-linux/moonbase-other/pull/310

And all those unkown, who just use the workaround proposed Michael Joost.

I would really like to get some response on that from gdal-devs. (I'll
not be nagging any more now).

Cheers,
Kai