[gdal-dev] gdal_translate with -projwin possible bug

Lauren O'Brien leobrien at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 16:18:36 PDT 2016

Hi Evan,

Ok I thought it might have been at least partially intended. Unfortunately, I think the use case the change is addressing is not what the majority of users are thinking of when they choose projwin.

As Rutger pointed out, the Clipper tool in QGIS 2.14 onwards is now incapable of producing an output that lines up with input, unless the user spends some time doing coordinate math to calculate a precise projwin. That’s a pretty major efficiency loss. Questions about how to clip a raster without resampling or alignment changes appear regularly on stackexchange (see http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/201204/qgis-clipper-tool-misaliagnment , and http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/203664/clip-a-tiff-raster-image-using-a-bounding-box-with-python) and gdal_translate with projwin is regularly recommended as the most viable solution.

Jukka, I tried gdal_warp with -te and -tap (one must also input -tr). It was better in that the cell sizes didn’t change, but the output cells moved slightly northwest, such that the center of the input cell became the lower right corner of the output cell. I guess that could be fixed by using gdal_edit with -a_ullr to nudge the output back into place, but that’s still extra work that shouldn’t be necessary.

I think it would be better if projwin’s functionality reverted to its previous behaviour as a default, and that an additional flag be made available for people who do want strict conformance with their specified bounding box as part of a resampling operation.

Either way, the way projwin works in different versions needs to be made explicit in the documentation.

Regards
Lauren