[gdal-dev] Starting a discussion on style and coding guidelines

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 06:54:24 PDT 2016

I would make some of assertions (some just restating what Even wrote)

* The cost to heap allocation is a fair question (but I would suggest we
defer the work until required)

* Any work done on performance critical subroutines should be done
carefully.

* It would help to have a standard comment that people can add to
empirically detected performance critical sections so that we reduce the
chance of performance regressions

* It would be nice to have a very simple performance check system, but that
seems like a separate discussion that will open the whole benchmarking
can-o-worms.

* It would be great to have a set of instructions on how to instrument GDAL
to collect metrics of runs and detect hot spots with open source tools.
It's been a long time since I've done anything like that with generally
available tools.  e.g. https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/gprof/  And I
need to look more at the gcov output.  I see that mapserver has a start
https://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/PerformanceTesting

* The gdal wiki needs to have more of
http://erouault.blogspot.com/2016/01/software-quality-improvements-in-gdal.html
blended in

* https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Donald_Knuth "premature optimization is the
root of all evil (or at least most of it) in programming" :)

* I would suggest that with any guideline there will almost always be the
occasional location where that guideline does not make sense.  In that
case, I would expect that a comment would go along with the exception
explaining why it is important.

* The cost of heap versus stack is not well done in a standalone test (but
there is value in standalone examples).  Pressures on caches, TLBs, etc are
difficult to replicate in simple examples.  Moving a large allocate to the
heap helps keep the rest of the stack fast.  Think about the pages required
for the stack with multiple cores and lots of threads.
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/128213/how-is-page-size-determined-in-virtual-address-space

* There are also places where heap allocation is just flat out banned after
a process is initialized.  e.g. daemons like gpsd or long running realtime
systems (your car's engine controllers, spacecraft control systems, etc.).
I would argue that it is never going to be a good idea to use GDAL inside
that kind of system / process

In terms of GDAL, I haven't seen any places where heap allocation of large
objects would like be an important fraction of runtime.  I'm sure they are
there, but I would bet they are rare.

http://schwehr.org