[gdal-dev] PostGIS Out of db VRT containing JPEG2000 GDAL 2.1 OpenJPEG

bboughton bboughton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:16:00 PDT 2016

Not sure on 'repost' rules so apologies if this is out of place, but I have
this GDAL/JPEG2000/VRT/POSTGIS problem that I have put up on GIS Stack
Exchange with no interest. I am unsure if it is a bug, incorrect setup or
not even possible.

Essentially my procedure is:
Build GDAL 2.1 with OpenJPEG
Build PostGIS with above GDAL build
Created VRT file with SENTINEL2 Driver / JP2 files.
Add to POSTGIS as out of db raster
Try to query and get 'Raster offline error'

PostGIS query works fine with of of db GeoTiff and a VRT without JP2 files.

Because of the popularity of GDAL, PostGIS & the Sentinel 2 imagery I
figured this may be a stack that could be required in the future. For the
moment I get around it by converting the JP2 files for GeoTiff but at the
expense of 2x+ the hard disk space.

Link to SE question:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/195934/postgis-out-of-db-vrt-containing-jpeg2000-gdal-2-1-openjpeg

Would be happy to pay for the Kakadu driver if it meant sorting out this
problem but I don't think that is the issue?

Thanks,
Ben