[gdal-dev] libtool numbering policy

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jun 14 07:46:05 PDT 2016

Le mardi 14 juin 2016 16:33:04, Bas Couwenberg a écrit :
> On 2016-06-14 15:51, Even Rouault wrote:
> > Le mardi 14 juin 2016 12:13:49, Bas Couwenberg a écrit :
> >> In Debian we mark the libgdal C++ symbols and add a dependency on the
> >> version specific virtual ABI package provided by the libgdal20 package
> >> to all packages that use any of the C++ symbols. Most reverse
> >> dependencies of GDAL use (some) C++ symbols, requiring a rebuild of
> >> these packages for every new release of GDAL uploaded to Debian. Only
> >> the gmt, imposm, mapcache, mapserver, ncl, osmium, postgis, xastir,
> >> grass & pyosmium packages don't use any C++ symbols (10 out of 37).
> >
> > Side remark: I'm surprised to not see QGIS listed in the C API only
> > users.
> > I've never seen use of the GDAL C++ API in it.
> > Same for Fiona & RasterIO
>
> RasterIO uses several C++ classes in rasterio/_warp.pyx,
> GDALWarpOperation & OGRCoordinateTransformation for example.

Interesting... (so in what you wrote above, I assume you've an automated
script to figure out if C++ symbols are used ?)

For the GDALWarpOperation case, at first sight, it seems that there should be
everything needed in the C API.

For OGRCoordinateTransformation case, it seems to be related to the use of
OGRGeometryFactory::transformWithOptions() which is indeed C++ only.

> Fiona also uses several C++ classes in fiona/_transform.pyx, like
> RasterIO OGRCoordinateTransformation is one of them.

Same as above. Use of OGRGeometryFactory::transformWithOptions()