[gdal-dev] Is option --utility_version documented?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jun 15 03:53:26 PDT 2016

Hi Jukka,

> I noticed an utility program option --utility_version from
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/34340.
>
> Am I right that this option does not appear in any user documentation? If
> not I would like to add it into http://gdal.org/ogr_utilities.html and
> http://gdal.org/gdal_utilities.html

I'm not completely sure it is really needed to document it, at least not in a
prominent way. This is mostly an advanced option to help diagnosing issues.

> Option returns for example
> "gdalinfo was compiled against GDAL 2.1.0dev and is running against GDAL
> 2.1.0dev"
>
> Is it possible the compile and runtime versions are different?

Yes, that could potentially happen. If you look at the "About" dialog of QGIS,
you will see similar things.

> What can
> lead to such situation,

PATH / LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues

> and what trouble it makes?

It depends on the utility. If it uses the C API and it has been compiled
against version X and is running against libgdal Y > X, then it is likely to
work. Otherwise there's a high chance it results in crashing.

Even