[gdal-dev] WMS Driver defaulting to version 1.1.1

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Mar 2 11:53:26 PST 2016

Passmore, James H. <jpass <at> bgs.ac.uk> writes:

> I agree with all those that think that a request like
> http://myservice/ows?service=WMS&request=GetCapabilities& should return
the highest supported
> version of WMS on that server (currently 1.3.0 but in the near? future
1.4.0 and then  2.0.0...).  This is the
> expected behaviour according the to the WMS specifications (indeed most
OGC services I think), so it
> feels a bit wrong to deliberately go against it (so much for standards).
>
> Supplying the optional version number
> http://myservice/ows?service=WMS&request=GetCapabilities&version=1.1.1&
doesn't actually
> guarantee a response in that version either, it's just a preference in the
opening negotiation; it only
> should be honoured if the server can support that version.

I might agree with James if the request is sent without explicit version
number. However, I would deny such requests and the whole theoretically
brilliant negotiation system by making the version tag compulsory in the XML
description file http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html. The version number
lottery makes is much harder for the average users to find out what goes
wrong when something goes wrong between the client and server.

-Jukka Rahkonen-