[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 2.0.2 and 1.11.4 released

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 7 10:06:53 PST 2016

On 29-01-16 16:28, Bas Couwenberg wrote:
> Even Rouault wrote:
>>>
>>> Because not all reverse dependencies support GDAL 2.0 yet, the next Debian
>>> stable release (stretch) will most likely stick to 1.11.x as will the next
>>> Ubuntu LTS (xenial).
>>
>> Are there many (and "important") reverse dependencies not yet ready ? If not,
>> couldn't they be withdrawn from the main repo and added back via a PPA or
>> something like that when ready ?
>
> The most important missing piece is Fiona, we need the upcoming 1.7 release
> for its GDAL 2.0 support. But it's not expected until march. A patch is
> available in the BTS, but upstream has changed the GDAL 2.0 support,
and those
> changes were not easy to backport, so I gave up and chose to wait for
the new
> upstream release.
>
> When we have Fiona 1.7 we may not be able to transition before the freeze in
> preparation of the release.
>
> There are no PPAs in Debian so that's not an option. We could abuse backports
> for it, but that's not really an option either.
>
>>> I hope this will not cause too many issues.
>>
>> It would be annoying for applications that could make use of GDAL 2.0
>> abilities.
>> But I can imagine the challenge of managing a collection of applications...
>
> I've prepared patches for most packages, but these have not seen any real
> world testing yet. So I'm not entirely confident we can switch to 2.0
without
> issues. The safe choice is to stick to 1.11, but I'll try to transition to
> 2.0 before the freeze when the prerequisites are met.

I managed to backport the GDAL 2.0 changes to Fiona 1.6.3 after all.

So instead of transitioning to 1.11.4, 2.0.2 was used instead.

Earlier today GDAL 2.0.2 and most of its reverse dependencies migrated
to Debian testing leading in the end of the transition. The remaining
reverse dependencies should migrate later this week, except SAGA which
is blocked by the libvigraimpex transition.

Unfortunately this transition was too late to have GDAL 2.x included in
the upcoming Ubuntu LTS release, that will still ship with GDAL 1.11.3.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1