[gdal-dev] GSoC 2016

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Mar 16 10:46:32 PDT 2016

On Wednesday 16 March 2016 12:40:39 Борзых Александр Андреевич wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I am a second year student at Saint-Petersburg ITMO University, Russia. For
> GSoC 2016 I would like to work on DWG support in GDAL.

> Overall idea
> DWG  is very wide-spread format and it seems like there is a lot of requests
>  for a good conversion tools from DWG to more common spatial data. I  think
> that current implementations of DWG support are not optimal. For  example
> libdwg (abandoned), libredwg (GPLv3 incompatible with X/MIT).

> Technical details
> I plan to use the existing DXF driver as origin for DWG driver. The driver
> will not have any third-party dependencies. First of all I'll study ODA DWG
> specification and how DXF driver works. Than I plan to create DWG driver
> skeleton. And finally code some scope of functionality (will be defined
> later). I'll be grateful if somebody share some dwg test files with common
> cases.

I think, if feasable, some effort should be done to separate the low-level DWG
reading, from the upper-level OGR use.
I can see 2 reasons to do that :
- so that the handling of the various variants of DWG doesn't go up to the OGR
layer
- so that the low-level code can possibly be reused by other projects, to
maximize the chances of contributions.

> Possible problems
> There are near 7 versions of DWG format (R13, R14, R2000, R2004, R2007,
> R2010, R2013) with differencies in file organisation, so driver should be
> able to read from and write to all of them.

Is the write support really necessary at this stage ? A working read support
would already be great. Write support would need to be checked against the
"official" non-free implementations of the format, since we don't want to
generate invalid/corrupted/unreadable files.
I remember to have quite a few trial and error cycles when handing a OGR DXF
writing bug a few years ago to make it readable by other software.