[gdal-dev] Implementing write support for GDAL driver

jramm jamessramm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 08:17:11 PDT 2016

Hi
I am implementing a write driver for the Vertical Mapper/Northwood Grid
format (NWT_GRD), which already has read support.
I have attached a diff of what I have got so far. Needless to say, it is not
complete or working :D.

I'm looking for information on development, specifically:

- Precisely what functions need to be implemented so the writing is fully
supported? (i.e. the minimum to be able to create a dataset from scratch and
write data to it using RasterIO).
- Is there any info out there on debugging GDAL drivers? What is the
standard approach. Currently im trying to use 'gdal_translate' as a way in
to get it to do something so I can set some break points...perhaps writing a
little test program would be a better method. Which brings me to
- What standards are there for writing unit tests, test programs? I can see
a load of python under 'autotest' which im not familiar with. Are there any
guidelines on thise (the README is none too helpful).

Ive been over the driver implementation tutorial a number of times but info
on implementing write support is fairly scant. I'd happily add to this if I
can get this done..

Thanks for any help
grddataset_diff.txt
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5258855/grddataset_diff.txt>