[gdal-dev] GDAL 2.1 and Norwegian SOSI

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri May 6 03:06:01 PDT 2016

Stefan,

> Now I investigated a bit more and it seems that the development at our
> mapping authority and gdal diverged a bit.
>
> There is a (partly) newer version of the OGR-SOSI driver at the github
> repository of our mapping authority:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/compare/trunk...kartverket:trunk
>
> Especially this commit contains changes that might fix the issue with
> geometry type 5 (and 20), plus provides some improvements on
> attribute-type mapping:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/321bc979f112e46e05e45a9363d39de534370
> 9fc

(I'm wondering how that commit can appear at https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal
whereas it is not integrated in GDAL trunk. Something I must miss with
git/github...)

> Would you mind integrating those changes?

--> Hint to the 58 other committers also in the position to do so ;-)

> That would be really great.
> However, I understand that you already spend a significant amount of
> unpaid time (unfortunately I have no resources I could allocate to this)
> on this rare driver, so I understand if you choose not to. In the latter
> case I could try to provide a fix myself. Would you prefer a SVN diff in
> that case?

A ticket with the elements and links you provided above, and potentially a svn
diff (with the new files added), and with only the changes in
ogr/ogrsf_frmts/sosi/, would be a start. A test file for the new geometry types
could also be useful.

> Since geometry type 5 is a curved geometry, which was not supported by GDAL
> OGR at that time, the commit above interpolates the curve to a line
> feature. Maybe better to generate a curved OGR geometry instead of a line?

Yeah, that would be a better match, but getting the linearized geometries
would be already a good start.

Even