[gdal-dev] Configuring GDAL 1.11.1 to use GEOS

William Kelly Magee William.Kelly.Magee at leidos.com
Tue May 17 14:57:06 PDT 2016

Hello

I am trying to build GDAL with GEOS support on RHEL 6 (64-bit) and am
getting nowhere fast!

I've been using the OGR api from gdal-1.11.1 for over a year with
excellent results and now need to use the geometry methods that are only
available with the inclusion of GEOS (else the message ERROR 6: GEOS
support not enabled").

I've built geos-3.1.0 and the set the GDAL configure option
"--with-geos" to point to "geos-config".  Initially this did not work as
gdal configure was attempting to execute "geos-config" which did not
have execute permission (doing a chmod 777 on "geos-config" resolved this).

GDAL builds fine and appears to partially recognize GEOS availability
but cannot confirm "GEOSversion" in geos_c.  The following two lines are
output from gdal configure;

         checking for GEOS version >= 3.1.0... yes
         checking for GEOSversion in -lgeos_c... no

At this point it looked like a search issue so I've updated the PATH and
LIBRARY_PATH env vars to point to the geos "capri" directory containing
"libgeos_c.la".  Still no luck.  Have tried copying libgeos_c.la to the
gdal folder and /usr/local/lib but still no luck.

Going through the list I see where others have run across similar but
not the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Kelly