[gdal-dev] GeoPDF

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed May 18 08:10:16 PDT 2016

Le mercredi 18 mai 2016 16:50:03, Frank Broniewski a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I want to turn my QGIS map composer PDF into a GeoPDF or a geospatial
> PDF. Unfortunately that is not supported, just on a per layer basis from
> within the main program. I could export my map to TIFF with a world file
> and use GDAL on that, but I'd like to maintain the vectors and text in
> the output.
> Since GDAL supports the creation of GeoPDF, I'd like to ask if there is
> some kind of documentation on the web where the standard is described

Sure. There are 2 specifications mentionned in http://gdal.org/frmt_pdf.html :
- Adobe Supplement to ISO 32000:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/adobe_supplement_iso32000.pdf
- OGC GeoPDF Encoding Best Practice Version 2.2 (08-139r3) :
http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=40537
But I doubt you'll enjoy their reading (especially the ISO 32000 one). In
practice the support has been developed by dumping existing files.

> of
> if someone knows an OpenSource library which supports the creation of
> GeoPDF.
> I thought of writing a, preferable in Python, program which would add
> the necessary tags and data to the PDF in order to turn it into a
> GeoPDF.

The GDAL PDF driver supports update of an existing PDF to add georeferencing
to it. You can do that for example with the -a_ullr and -a_srs flags of the
gdal_edit.py script. You can also look at the pdf_update_gt() test in
https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/autotest/gdrivers/pdf.py

This is also documented in the "Update of existing files" section of
http://gdal.org/frmt_pdf.html

Even