[gdal-dev] Spatial index to raster VRT

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu May 26 05:50:47 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-26 8:40 AM, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any thoughts about alternatives to implement the feature request from
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/5762?
>
> What I dream of is to be able to utilize all the nice on-the-fly tweaks that
> can be done with VRT at similar speed that Mapserver is reaching with tileindex.

That would be a nice enhancement. As usual I guess we need a champion
and/or some funding to make this happen.

I came across a similar use case not long ago and realized that to get
top performance at all zoom levels we'd also need the ability to
associate overviews with the VRT. I didn't check if creating external
overviews with gdaladdo would work for a VRT already. Maybe it does?

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

http://evouala.com/ - Location Intelligence Made Easy