[gdal-dev] Building GDAL on Windows 32 and 64 bit

Rashad Kanavath mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Tue May 31 08:35:16 PDT 2016

Hello Jeff,

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> wrote:

> On 2016-05-31 11:06 AM, Even Rouault wrote:
>

>> Jeff,
>> It sounds your issue with cmake is more mapscript not receiving attention,
>> rather than a defect from cmake itself, right ? I've used cmake to build
>> QGIS
>> on Linux & Windows and can't recall any particular issue I can really
>> attribute to cmake (besides Windows being a pain for me in general :-))
>>
>> Even
>>

> I used MapServer as one example.  I have other project examples as well.
> For most of the projects that use cmake in the MS4W stack I maintain
> makefiles - these projects switched to cmake but did not care to test on
> Windows.  So, I live on Windows and must maintain makefiles.  See what I am
> saying? :)
>
> This is very common.  I speak from experience.  I agree, on paper this
> seems like an excellent idea :)

I see (saw) what you are saying from my own experience. And it terrible
that it get untested on windows. But as you mentioned about working on
windows a lot, you can test and propose/ask for a fix. right?

Does all these projects you mentioned explicitly said they won't support
cmake build on windows? I had a similar one with libjpeg-turbo, they
support cmake build only on windows, even if someone provided a free patch
for any found problem on a *nix build. I mean that is crazy..

> -jeff
>

> --
> Jeff McKenna
> MapServer Consulting and Training Services
> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Regards,
   Rashad