[gdal-dev] Attach database and GeoPackage

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Nov 3 23:39:27 PDT 2016

Hi,

I have been thinking that it could be nice to be able to open GeoPackage with attached database https://www.sqlite.org/lang_attach.html. Attaching database that contains spatial tables would probably give too much troubles because reading the spatial metadata of the attached db through the master db so that GeoPackage clients understands what happens feels difficult.  However, attaching tables with pure attribute data (aspatial tables) might make some sense by allowing to keep the heavy but stable geometries in one db and more frequently updated attributes in another. Wondering if there could be some open option like -oo attach_database=path_to_another_sqlite_db. I do not have any clear use case in my mind yet, just thinking.

-Jukka Rahkonen-