[gdal-dev] DODS driver (packagers recommended to disable it)

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 8 23:12:16 PST 2016

Via Launchpad issue #1640360 [0] I was informed about a segfault in the
DODS driver when fed a JSON URL. In the related IRC discussion packagers
are recommended to disable the DODS driver. [1]

Is the DODS driver so error prone to make this recommendation?

The driver has been enabled for a very long time in the gdal Debian
package, so I'm surprised about the recommendation to disable it now.

The GDAL_SKIP=DODS env var seems like a fine workaround for this
specific issue, since the Launchpad issue is the first to report issues
with it. If the OpenEx function handles other JSON data correctly, and
only fails for the proprietary arcgis service, that doesn't seem like a
good a reason to disable the DODS driver which would disadvantage its users.

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdal/+bug/1640360
[1] http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeo/%23osgeo.2016-11-09.log

Kind Regards,

Bas