[gdal-dev] Ogr2ogr -dim and Oracle

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Nov 17 01:16:40 PST 2016

On jeudi 17 novembre 2016 08:06:24 CET Rahkonen Jukka (MML) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that Even was editing the ogr2ogr help about the -dim parameter
> and  remembered that I think that it does not have an effect on the OCI
> driver. For forcing a new Oracle table into 2D you must use the OCI drivers
> own layer creation option "DIM" instead http://www.gdal.org/drv_oci.html. I
> am not sure if that happens also with the current GDAL version.

Yes you would still need to play with the DIM layer creation option for OCI. I
dug into history and am wondering if the current behaviour of the OCI driver
to not use the dimension of the geometry type passed to the CreateLayer()
method by default, but use instead 3 as default and use DIM creation option as
an override has some rationale specific to Oracle behaviour, or is just a
matter of history ( https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/4057 : 14 years
ago).
Would it make sense to change it to the behaviour of the PostGIS driver that
usess the dimension of the geometry type passed to the CreateLayer() method by
default by default, unless DIM is defined ( https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/
changeset/7303 : 12 years ago)

Even