[gdal-dev] "Very" long path name support under windows

Bugbuster philippe.ghesquiere at airbus.com
Wed Nov 23 01:31:50 PST 2016

Dear all,

I have already posted this question a while ago, but I just noticed it has
never been accepted by the mailing list. And I don't know how to make it
accepted today. I do feel sorry for this double-posting.

I bumped into a problem under windows (Win7 or Win8 64 bits). I try to
manage an image which directory name is "very long" (more than 260 chars) :

   cd C:\VeryLongDirectoryPath
   gdalinfo Image.tif

I get the following message :
"Error: Current working directory has a path longer than alloowed for a
Win32 working directory.
Can't start native Windows applications from here

gdalinfo: File name too long"

I have the same problem when using system calls from a Java application.

I know there is a "legacy" limitation under Windows environnement, which
limits total filename length to  MAX_PATH (i.e. 260 chars). However, many
applications are not subject to this limitation (e.g. 7z).

I am looking for a solution when using GDAL utilities with system calls from
a JAVA application
Is there a way to deal with this limitation under windows ? Should we use
the 8.3 naming convention ? And how ?

Thanks for your help.
Philippe

P.S. :
* Env. : Windows 7 or Windows 8 64-bit
* GDAL V2.0.2
* Using *Cygwin Mintty* windows : directory names are not shortened to 8
characters