[gdal-dev] "Very" long path name support under windows

Damian Dixon damian.dixon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 09:09:58 PST 2016

Hi Even, Philippe,

Windows has two types of paths.

The first is essentially the codepage and is about 260 characters.

The second is the unicode pathname which is probably around 32k characters.
I can't remember the actual limit.

The cmd line and explorer only use the 260 character limit.

So a unicode program can create a path that is not particularly useable via
the cmd line or via explorer. cygwin bash shell works though.

You have to use the win32 unicode versions of the file open etc... to use
the nice long paths.

Regards
Damian