[gdal-dev] How does WMTS driver detect DataWindow?

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Nov 30 00:56:13 PST 2016

Hi,

I got to understand why WMTS service has so large WGS84 bounding box in GetCapabilities.  It is because the native EPSG:3067 bounding box is first converted into WGS84 by using a densified polygon geometry. The WGS84BoundingBox is then the envelope of this warped polygon. Because of warping the rectangle gets wider towards the poles. This is logical and the result does not look so bad in this image

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/2445ea91a8ac7b15bf39

However, if the bounding box goes closer to -90°S or 90°N the distortion gets bigger.  In our case the maximum latitude is at 83°N and the result it quite funny

http://latuviitta.org/downloads/WGS84BoundingBox.png

-Jukka Rahkonen-