[gdal-dev] Request for comments on Rasterio documentation

Sean Gillies sean at mapbox.com
Mon Sep 12 06:19:56 PDT 2016

Hi Even,

Thanks for the comments! More from me below...

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Sean,
>
> I've actually a question along Howard's yesterday tweet regarding mutual
> incompatiblity between osgeo.gdal and rasterio. From my understanding of
> the
> doc and look at rasterio code (
> https://github.com/mapbox/rasterio/blob/master/rasterio/_drivers.pyx and
> https://github.com/mapbox/rasterio/blob/master/rasterio/env.py) , it
> seems the
> potential issues would be about driver registration, config options and
> error
> handlers, right ?
>
> But as rasterio.Env() seems to take care about restoring the environment to
> what it was about, I would have thought that folks could do safely things
> like
>
> 1: do osgeo.gdal stuff
> 2:  with rasterio.Env(): do rasterio stuff
> 3 : do osgeo.gdal stuff
>
> Actually taking a look at rasterio/_drivers.pyx , it seems that the error
> handler isn't restored, so could be an issue if folks in 1. would install a
> custom global one. I guess the reason for not restoring the previous
> handler
> is for workflows like
>
> with rasterio.Env()
>      src = rasterio.open()
> do stuff with src
>
> where you cannot restore the error handler at a precise point.
>
> To address this, a possibility would be for rasterio to use
> CPLPushErrorHandler() / CPLPopErrorHandler() around each call, or group of
> calls, it makes to GDAL.

Yes, this is a good idea. It is achievable and will make Rasterio more
compatible with osgeo.gdal (as well as the Fiona modules).

> GDALEnv.start() calls GDALAllRegister, so potentially if folks had de-
> registered a driver in 1., then will find it registered again in step 3.,
> but
> that's a pretty uncommon use case (I'm not aware of anyone using
> driver.Deregister() / driver.Register() except in GDAL autotest suite to
> make
> sure the right jpeg2000 driver is used)
>
> Apart from that, it isn't obvious to me why things couldn't be mixed in the
> same process. I guess that even in 2. you could call osgeo.gdal stuff in a
> reasonably safe way (with the environment & error handler set by rasterio
> of
> course)

Yes, I suppose it could be okay to call gdal functions within a
rasterio.Env() block as long as you didn't change the error handler or
config options. I can't help thinking that "you can use a subset of gdal
with Rasterio" advice sets users up for trouble and I'd like to avoid that.

> Reading again, I'm not sure that "Additionally, gdal and Rasterio register
> conflicting error handlers and thus the propagation of exceptions and
> warnings
> may depend on which module was imported last." is true. Importing
> gdal.osgeo
> only calls GDALAllRegister() and as far as I understood importing rasterio
> is
> a no-op regarding calls to the GDAL API.

Thank you for correcting me. It's gdal.UseExceptions() that
calls CPLSetErrorHandler(), yes? And so I should say "may depend on whether
rasterio.Env() or gdal.UseExceptions() was called last."

> Regarding the example 'with rasterio.Env(GDAL_CACHEMAX=512):', there's a
> potential pitfall in that the GDAL_CACHEMAX config option is read *only*
> the
> first time GDALGetCacheMax()/GDALGetCacheMax64() is called, so changing it
> afterwards will have no effect.
>
> So if you do things like
>
> with rasterio.Env(GDAL_CACHEMAX=512):
>         rasterio.open(...)
>
> with rasterio.Env(GDAL_CACHEMAX=1024):
>         rasterio.open(...)  <-- will only see the effect GDAL_CACHEMAX=512
>
> If you want to actively change the value you must call GDALSetCacheMax() /
> GDALSetCacheMax64().

Good to know! I will change my example and deal with this issue in Rasterio.

> More about a rasterio design choice: I see that the master representation
> used
> in rasterio for a crs is the proj.4 string (or +init=epsg:XXXX when
> detected),
> right ? So "src.crs.wkt" will not give you back the original WKT string
> coming
> from GDAL but one that is reconstructed by using OSRImportFromProj4() (or
> OSRImportFromEPSG()) and then OSRExportToWKT(). This might work well in
> most
> use cases where the CRS is not too exotic, but you might lose for example
> the
> actual datum name, which could be a problem if folks want to select another
> datum shift than the one proposed by default, or think about CRS for
> imagery
> of other planets.

Yes, I think Rasterio's CRS class should probably switch to WKT for its
canonical representation sooner than later.

Even, has the idea of an API for getting the current configuration of GDAL,
meaning all the currently set options, ever been proposed and discussed? It
seems like this could help modules coexist better.

--
Sean Gillies