[gdal-dev] VRT derived band pixel functions written in Python

James Ramm jamessramm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 14:38:41 PDT 2016

Incredible!!!!
Really cool initiative.

I had a play around and wanted a way to be able to write the pixel function
in a 'stand alone' python module and generate the VRT from it. This would
allow independent testing and easier maintenance of the python code. It is
fairly easy using lxml to build up the VRT dynamically:

https://github.com/JamesRamm/gdal_pixel_functions

In the example I more-or-less recreate the hillshade example Even posted,
although there is a lot of functionality missing from the VRT-builder
still, so some nodes are not present.
It would be quite easy therefore, to expand this to a sort of GDAL
'algorithms library' (I think it can wholesale replace what I had tried
here: https://github.com/JamesRamm/GeoAlg).

One thing I would note (if I understand correctly) is that you have
specified any "import" statement as unsafe except numpy/math and numba? It
might be better to either allow imports or not allow them at all (unless
the config option is set) as I don't see why those libraries would be any
more or any less 'safe' than another library...e.g. another standard
library module.

I would agree with Sean and remove 'IF_SAFE' and leave it entirely to the
users discretion. Many users who are working with their own local data will
likely have no problems about just setting it to 'YES' and I imagine users
for whom it would be a probably might already have their own rules on what
constitutes 'safe'?

On a sidenote - does this new functionality overlap considerably with the
gdal map algebra project?