[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr intersect very slow at command line with large sqlite input

CTL101 chrislloyd2 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 9 08:38:58 PDT 2017

Hi, I am attempting the following ogr2ogr sql intersect operation using gdal
2.1.3 at command line, and an input sqlite file that is 2.51GB in size. The
program has been running for a few days and seems to be processing, but is
very slow. The output file size is not incrementing as it does with small
test excerpts of the file. Has the program crashed? And how might I improve
performance? I have experimented with the -gt and --config cache options
somewhat.

ogr2ogr -gt 65536 -nlt PROMOTE_TO_MULTI25D --config OGR_SQLITE_CACHE 20480
-f SQLite -dsco SPATIALITE=YES output.sqlite input.sqlite -nln output
-dialect sqlite -sql "SELECT ST_Intersection(A.geometry, B.geometry) AS
geometry, A.name, B.name FROM inputtable1 A, inputtable2 B WHERE
ST_Intersects(A.geometry, B.geometry)"

Any advice appreciated. Regards, Chris