[gdal-dev] [Geoserver-devel] GML lat-lon coverages and interoperability

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Tue Apr 11 03:45:39 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Piero is right - what I said applies to the case that grid and CRS axes align -
which addresses the vast marjotiy of cases in my experience. However, OGC
coverages (to some extent CIS 1.0, more with CIS 1.1) can also address more
complex cases (irregular grids, grids embedded in higher-dimensional spaces,
grids given by sensor models, etc.), but naturally description of such grids
gets increasingly involved.

To put it differently: parameters omitted use defaults that try to keep usage
simple.

My 2 philosophical cents,

Peter

On 04/11/2017 09:13 AM, Piero Campalani wrote:
> ​Hi Jukka,​
>
> On 10 April 2017 at 16:56, <gdal-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org
> <mailto:gdal-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org>> wrote:
>
>     Andrea wrote:
>
>     If there is no 1:1 correspondence between geographic and raster space
>     axis, then I see no other way but to use Function to explicitly correlate
>     the two.
>     How would you propose to proceed instead?
>
>     Perhaps with offset vectors?
>

> l'lI just chime​ in to confirm you that: yes, offset vectors are the right means.
>
> There is no need for raster and CRS axis to have 1) the same dimensionality
> (you want to describe a 2D grid in a 3D cube) and neither 2) the same axis
> ordering.
>
> Indeed raster/CRS axis pairing can make sense only when the raster is
> diligently aligned with the CRS space, otherwise that would makes no sense.
>
> @see
> http://rasdaman.org/wiki/PetascopeUserGuide#GridaxislabelsandCRSaxislabels
> http://rasdaman.org/attachment/wiki/PetascopeUserGuide/GridDomainSetAxes.png
>
> hth,
> -Piero

Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
   www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)