[gdal-dev] Limiting Oracle layers to the tables of a given schema

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Fri Apr 14 07:04:17 PDT 2017

Vautour, André (INT) wrote
> Hi all,
>
> I started playing with the Oracle Spatial (OCI) vector driver and was
> surprised that the default behaviour is to look for all the tables listed
> in ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA.
>
> I would have expected it to use all the tables in the schema (user) that
> was provided, so, essentially, to query USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA. I think it
> would make sense to support only listing the tables in a given schema.

Hi,

There are for sure different opinions but I consider that it does make more
sense to use ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA. In our environment the database admins
create tables and grant minimal rights for the normal user accounts so
USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA is usually empty for our GIS users.

A reference about the difference taken from
http://gerardnico.com/wiki/oracle_spatial/metadata

/    USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA contains metadata information for all spatial
tables owned by the user (schema). This is the only view that you can
update, and it is the one in which Spatial users must insert metadata
related to spatial tables.
    ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA contains metadata information for all spatial
tables on which the user has SELECT permission./

If user has select rights for a table then why not to make it visible also
through GDAL? If GDAL sees some table that you think it should not, remove
the SELECT permission from the user and it disappears.

-Jukka Rahkonen-